CaP are redeveloping their collections directory to make it easier to search and edit entries so this function is a work in progress. We will be contacting all those contributors who were on the original directory but if you are connected to a crime and punishment collection or building and would like to be included please click on the Add to Collections directory on the home page.
Some search tips: The general Search Listings bar will look for any part of the address, a postcode, any part of the organisation name and the region or country. It will also search for type of collection so try entering “museum”, “library”, “archive” or “site” (for heritage site). Below the bar you will find themes of collections for you to search. The small Advanced Search button below Find Listings displays a more detailed search list and you can select as many options as you want. To return to the main directory page, select Directory
Address: Devon Heritage Centre, Great Moor House, Bittern Road, Exeter
Devon Heritage Centre holds all types of historical archives relating to the county of Devon and the City of Exeter (excluding Plymouth.) Devon Heritage Centre in Exeter generally holds collections which relate to the whole county, including the Diocesan records, county Quarter Sessions and County Council collections. This includes estate and family collections, and solicitors’ collections which cover more than one area of Devon. Most of these records are not filmed or digitised, and are only available in their original format. The West Country Studies Library, which contains the county collection of local history material is also available at the Devon Heritage Centre. It includes published books, manuscript volumes, pamphlets, journals, maps, prints, engravings, photographs, newspapers and various files relating to local parish and family history.Address: 102 Petty France, London
With 90,000 potential users, the MoJ library caters for a wide range of professionals, including lawyers, psychologists, economists and statisticians. As well as supplying books and journals, the library keeps all documents produced by the Ministry of Justice, preserving the ‘corporate memory’ of the department. It also collates all the bills and amendments generated in the passage of an Act through Parliament, preserving the material as a complete history of the nation’s law.
Subjects range from race-related crime to youth justice, sentencing policy to rehabilitation, weaving together political, legal, statistical and sociological works.Address: Nairn Museum Ltd, Viewfield House, Viewfield Drive, Nairn, Nairnshire
tems relating to crime and punishment include the Nairnshire Police Force uniforms and an original cell door from Nairn Prison. As well as artefacts, Nairn Museum also has some paperwork with the history of policing in Nairn and Nairnshire and also a few photographs of previous policemen. The documents also contain references to the Poor House at Balblair.Address: Guildhall Road, Northampton
The building that Northampton Museum and Art Gallery occupies was initially constructed in 1846 as a red brick L-shaped Victorian addition to the County Gaol. The Victorian gaol block comprised of rows of cells divided by iron bars along the walls. The cells were separated by a central corridor with galleried walkways connected by spiral stairs. On the first floor at the north of the building there were larger rooms that may have served as storerooms and gaolers’ rooms. At the north end of the basement floor were the condemned cells, where inmates were held prior to being hung. Hangings first took place at the gaol in 1819 on Angel Lane behind the Georgian Block. They moved there from Northampton Racecourse due to concerns about the size of the crowds gathering to view the hangings. The hanging area was known as the ‘New Drop’ and twenty people were hanged here over a period of almost 40 years. In 1852 the last public hanging at Northampton took place when Elizabeth Pinkard was executed for murdering her mother-in-law. In 1879 Gaol Commissioners deemed the site unfit in accordance with health and hygiene standards of the day and in 1880, the gaol closed.
Address: Brighton Town Hall, Bartholomew Road, Brighton
The Old Police Cells Museum preserves 13 original cells in the basement of Brighton Town Hall and also has a collection (c.1830-) of uniforms, memorabilia, evidence materials, communication and police equipment. The police station was condemned as unfit for use in 1929 but continued in use up 1967, just before the amalgamation of five separate forces; East Sussex, West Sussex, Brighton, Eastbourne and Hastings, into Sussex Constabulary in 1968. The force was rebranded as Sussex Police in 1974.Address: Penrith and Eden Museum, Robinson's School, Middlegate, Penrith, Cumbria
The museum holds some material from the former Cumbria police museum at Carleton Hall.Address: High Street, Sanquhar, Dumfriesshire
A tolbooth or town house was the main municipal building of a Scottish burgh, from medieval times until the 19th century. The tolbooth usually provided a council meeting chamber, a court house and a jail.
Designed by William Adam, Sanquhar Tolbooth was built in 1735 on the site of its predecessor. A two-storey building with a tall clock tower, records suggest that stone from Sanquhar Castle was used in its construction.Address: Wapping High Street, London
The Thames Police Museum has existed in its present form since 1974 and is run under the auspices of the Thames Police Association. It is a small but very popular collection that records the history of policing on the River Thames from 1798 to the presentAddress: The Shire Hall, Lancaster Castle, Castle Parade, Lancaster
Dominating the local skyline, Lancaster Castle is one of England's best-preserved castles. The castle is owned by Her Majesty the Queen, who is the Duke of Lancaster. The castle offers a glimpse into England’s often dark past through tours and special events enjoyed by modern-day visitors of all ages. Until 2011 it was a fully functioning HM Prison and was also Europe’s longest-serving prison. The Shire Hall complex is run by Lancashire County Museum Service and due to the working nature of the building access to the complex is by guided tour only. The courtrooms have witnessed many famous and infamous trials over the centuries, including those of the Lancashire Witches who were convicted and sentenced to death in 1612. Between 1800 and 1865 only the judges at the Old Bailey in London sentenced more people to death than those who sat at Lancaster Castle. The Castle has a small collection of around 500 historic objects, fixtures and fittings which are predominantly on display in the Shire Hall complex.Address: The Old Town Hall, Winchcombe, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
The museum is located on the upper floor in the Victorian Old Town Hall building which is situated at the T-junction in the centre of Winchcombe. It can easily be recognised by the large round clock overhanging the main road. Since becoming redundant in 1883.
The museum also houses a collection of British and International police uniforms - both historic and modern.