Sanquhar Tolbooth Museum
A tolbooth or town house was the main municipal building of a Scottish burgh, from medieval times until the 19th century. The tolbooth usually provided a council meeting chamber, a court house and a jail.
Designed by William Adam, Sanquhar Tolbooth was built in 1735 on the site of its predecessor. A two-storey building with a tall clock tower, records suggest that stone from Sanquhar Castle was used in its construction.