Shepton Mallet Prison, often known as Cornhill or The Mallet, housed its first inmates in 1625. After the abolition of public executions in 1868 and the closure of both Ilchester and Taunton gaols, Shepton Mallet Prison became the County Gaol and was then responsible for overseeing executions. Between 1889-1926, seven men convicted for the crime of murder were executed within the prison. The prison was finally decommissioned on 28th March 2013.
The prison is open for self-guided tours or guided tours.